Friday, August 7, 2009
Dolph's First Letter to the Congressman
And now a reading from Dolph's first letter to the Congressman.
Well Representative Conyers, if someone asked me to the "read the bill" I would respond the very same way. What good is it for me to read the bill if I don't have the time? After all, I am a full time student with a part time job. I have to mow my lawn, do the dishes, and take out the trash from time to time. Oh, and I do need to take my clunker in for an oil change soon. Most of the time it's hard for me to get through an enjoyable book without getting sidetracked by other things that come up in my life. I certainly wouldn't have the time. And what about the mind boggling legal babble that is contained in these bills? Why... you'd need two lawyers and two days just to figure out what it means after you read the bill. I certainly don't have the staffing, or any other such resources for that matter, to take on such a task. What good is it?
But then, I'd probably continue and state how in this great country of ours we elect people to represent us in such matters. Yes, the founding fathers knew when drafting our constitution that in order for us common folk to enjoy our liberties we'd need to have a government by the people, of the people, and for the people. Part of that government they created included the House of Representatives outlined in... oh, what part of The Constitution was that, ARTICLE. I!
Congressman John Conyers, Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, you know all about these things. After all, you've been in the House sense 1964. As someone who earned the Juris Doctor in 1958 and who most certainly has a very competent staff with access to more than two other lawyers, we all know you were just kidding around, Congressman. I'm sure most Americans would agree that if you weren't competent in understanding such legislation before voting on it then we wouldn't see you in Washington after 2010. Oh, Congressman, you are a jokester.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
If the 1,000 page bill really has to be read.. why don't they just compromise and hire the same kids who read the Harry Potter books in two days?
ReplyDelete